Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Garden Tomato Pizza Pie

I was in the middle of making home-made bread and canning tomatoes, when I got the brillant idea to combine the two for our lunch. I had just a little bit of exta dough, and I decided that a hearty whole wheat crust makes a happy match with garden fresh tomatoes! The only thing that would have maybe bumped this up a notch is maybe a bit of bacon. Mmmmm... this is a good one!

Garden Tomato Pizza Pie (By Lyd)
about 1 cup uncooked whole wheat bread dough
1-2 fresh ripe tomatoes, sliced
1/2 cup grated mozzarella or monetary jack cheese
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp pizza seasoning
a pinch of basil, oregano, and Italian seasoning (if desired)

Spread the bread dough by hand on a greased pie pan. Bake for about 10 minutes. Pull the dough out and spread with tomatoes. Sprinkle salt, cheese and seasonings over top. Bake for an additional 10-15 minutes. Slice, and eat warm!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

jess and seth said...

I love that flavor combination--tomatoes, cheese and bread! Remember the cheese toasts Mom used to make? This looks scrumptious. If only I made my own bread . . . :)