Saturday, October 2, 2010

French Dip Sandwiches

My husband rarely makes food requests, so when he does, I listen. He humbly asked if we might soon have French Dip Sandwiches. I had forgot about those tasty french dips! So I quickly supplied myself with the necessaries, and got to work. I thought Rachel Ray created a nice Au Jus recipe! It was delicious- I even ate the green onions. :) I used whole wheat hoggie buns and the roast beef at the deli was even on sale! This meal was just meant to be, so thanks for the reminder Doug! :)

French Dip Sandwiches (Rachel Ray, Foodnetwork)
2 tablespoons butter
1 shallot, chopped (I used green onions.)
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 jigger dry sherry, optional
2 cans beef consomme, found on broth and soups aisle or beef broth
1 1/2 pounds deli sliced roast beef
Grill seasoning blend for steak, such as Montreal Steak Seasoning Blend, or, coarse salt and pepper
4 torpedo sandwich rolls, split (Or whole wheat hoggie buns)

In a large, shallow skillet over moderate heat, melt butter. Add shallots to butter and saute 2 minutes. Add flour to butter and shallot and cook a minute longer. Whisk in sherry and cook liquid out. Whisk in consomme in a slow stream. Bring sauce to a bubble and allow to simmer over low heat until ready to serve sandwiches.
Pile meat loosely across your cutting board or a large work surface. Season meat with grill seasoning or salt and black pepper. Set out 4 ramekins or small soup cups for dipping sauce, 4 dinner plates and 4 split torpedo rolls. To assemble, using a pair of kitchen tongs, dip meat into loose au jus sauce and pile into rolls. Set ramekins or cups with extra dipping sauce along side the sandwiches.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

jess and seth said...

Ooooh, green onions--what a fabulous idea! And hey, I had a friend who worked at Arby's, and she said you can buy the roast beef there in bulk without buying a sandwich--I love their roast beef! I think the price is decent.

Life with the Conleys said...

Hey Lydia! I have made this rachael ray recipe before and I really liked it too.
I think your blog is great. I don't really comment so you wouldn't know, but I check it pretty frequently. Should I ever start a food blog (which I actually want to do) you will be my inspiration!

Lyd Stew said...

Karissa-
I hope you do start a food blog so I can follow and be "inspired" by you! You are sure sweet! Makes be feel good to know you check the blog! One thing I love about a food blog is that I can be visiting family or be anywhere and I can have my recipe stash there, and I don't have to worry about hauling along a cookbook. It is can to have them handy. Let me know if you ever start one! Hope you are doing well!
-Lyd