Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Curried Chicken Salad with Blackberries

Blackberries, I'm not finished with you! I had to throw them in one last thing before they went out of season. Doug LOVED this salad- it has a really strong taste and a lot of different flavors going on. It was not my cup of tea, so to speak. I guess I am a little too traditional sometimes- I have always preferred the "original" flavor... like with chips, or drinks, or what not. It is hard for me to branch out, but maybe it will be easier for you. You might just love this one like Doug. It was really pretty- I went nuts over the beautiful rusty color as you mix the curry and the mango chutney (which I didn't actually have- but now I can't remember what I cleverly substituted, and that might have been the problem. Hmmm.) It was the most beautiful color!

Curried Chicken Salad with Blackberries (Family Circle)
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1/3 cup light mayonnaise
2 tablespoons mango chutney
1 tablespoons lemon juice
1-1/2 teaspoons curry powder
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 cup raisins
1 celery rib, chopped
1 scallion, chopped
1-1/2 cups blackberries
1/2 cup roasted salted cashews

1. Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Sauté for 5 minutes per side or until internal temperature registers 160 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer. Cool and cut into 1/2-inch pieces. 2. In large bowl, combine remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, mayonnaise, mango chutney, lemon juice, curry powder and ginger. Stir in chicken, raisins, celery and scallion. Gently stir in berries. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Just before serving, sprinkle with cashews.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Amy Jo Romney said...

benj would love that!

Jillian said...

Yum!
Can I ask one HUGE favor?!? Would you be willing to change the color of your hyperlinks from yellow to perhaps the melon color or the blue color of the utensils in your background? I have to highlight all the yellow on white with my mouse to be able to read it.

As for the rest of the blog...YUM!