Sunday, October 24, 2010

Spinach-Stuffed Chicken Pockets

Man- I hope I am not too late for your Sunday dinner... if I am, put this one on next weeks menu! My sweet older sis, Jessica just sent me this recipe and picture. It sounds wonderful and I'm definitely going to give it a try! Here is what she had to say about (I have to post it because I think she is so funny and such a good writer:

"As you know, I am a faithful follower of your blog, and I love to get new ideas from you. The other night I made a dinner that was quite delicious. As you may have guessed, this caused quite a stir in my house, being somewhat of a rarity, so I felt inspired to take an actual photograph of my masterpiece. I humbly now submit it to you as a dinner that we all enjoyed immensely, raved over, and will probably never eat again, as I cannot seem to make the same thing twice. Except for spaghetti, which I can never get enough of and always make well, or so my friends tell me." :)

Spinach-Stuffed Chicken Pockets (From Jessica King)
(to give credit where credit is due, this started out as a recipe in Taste of Home's Simple & Delicious August/September 2010 issue, but I changed a few things, as I am wont to do)
2 cups fresh baby spinach
5-10 slices monterey jack cheese (it's what we had on hand--you could probably use mozzarella)
1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
4-6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
2 eggs, beaten
pepper
garlic powder
kosher salt

Cut a pocket in the thickest part of each chicken breast; fill with a few leaves of spinach and a slice or two of cheese; sprinkle with kosher salt. Secure with toothpicks.
Place eggs in a shallow bowl. In another shallow bowl, combine the pepper, garlic powder, and bread crumbs. Dip chicken in egg, then coat with bread crumb mixture.
Coat a large skillet with olive oil cooking spray. Over medium heat, cook chicken in remaining oil for 6-8 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 170 degrees. Discard toothpicks before serving.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

jess and seth said...

I can't believe it--I am finally famous.