Monday, September 22, 2008

Momma Kaye's Coleslaw

There are a few things my Momma Kaye makes that just can't be duplicated: cracked wheat (hot cereal), her hearty, crunchy whole wheat cookies, her incredible 10 loafs at ta time whole wheat bread (I could eat a whole loaf myself!), and her coleslaw. (Just to name a few). Every once in a while, I really get a hankering for one of these things... recently it was the coleslaw. When I requested the recipe, this is what I got in an e-mail:

Momma Kaye's Coleslaw:
"Pour some lemon juice in a big silver bowl. Next pour a half a cup or so of sugar, a tablespoon of salt, a cup or so of pickle juice from the pickles, then dump a good amount of mayonnaise in and wire whip it all together. It's actually making my mouth water. Slice your cabbage into small pieces (some people grate it, but that's rather tedious)."

*I treasure this, because this is so typical of the way my mom cooks! A cup or so... Needless to say, I didn't duplicated it, but it did turn out all right. I think I was one of the only ones in my family who really loved coleslaw... man I think I'm going to dish up a hefty portion right now! :) If you like coleslaw- hope you enjoy this, and enjoy my sweet Momma's way of writing down recipes... don't forget the silver bowl. :) They always turn out when she makes them! She's an amazing and I love her! No one can whip it up our of thin air like she can! I wish I was with her right now putting up applesauce. I have some really happy memories of watching my mom work in the kitchen. :) Maybe that's why I love food so much! :) I love you mom! Thanks for the recipe!

*Also, I used some of the red cabbage and now that it has been sitting in the fridge for a day, it is the MOST beautiful fuchsia pink! If for no other reason, make it for the color! Delightful! :)
Posted by Picasa

No comments: