Saturday, March 12, 2011

If life gives you lemons, make Lemon Loaf…

IMG_2060

Here is ANOTHER winner from Megan! She brought this one to some activity a while back (most likely a baby shower :), and I thought it was fabulous! I really love the addition of the cranberries (I think I would add even more- I bet blueberries would be really good too), and I think a little citrus zest can make a world of difference in shortbread and muffins! I recently added some Lemon Extract to my collection, so I did add just a drop of that as well, just to intensify the yummy lemon flavor. It was a good thing I did, because I totally forgot to add the juice over the top. Still fabulous though! Thanks again Megan!

*This recipe made 4 mini loaves.

Lemon Loaf (from Megan Naess)

1/3 c. margarine or butter
1 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. Baking powder
grated rind of 1 lemon, and the juice, separated
1-1/2 c. flour
½ c. milk
1/3 c. cherries or cranberries (can use chopped or whole according to preference)

Cream margarine and sugar. Beat in eggs until combined and then add rest. Pour batter into 1 large loaf pan, or 2-3 small pans. Bake at 350° for 1 hour. When fully baked, remove loaf from pan and pour 1/8-1/4 c. sugar (again, to suit personal preference) dissolved in the juice of 1 lemon over the top of the loaf. Let cool completely.

No comments: