Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Cornmeal Muffins

IMG_2027

1 Mix, 100 Muffins”… doesn’t that just sounds awesome! I recently won this great cookbook by Susanna Tee, at Bunco night. This book is full of muffin ideas! From sweet to savory. The beauty of this book is that every single recipe is based on the Basic Muffin Mix. I have had fun getting new muffin ideas! This was the first one I tried out, just because it sounded like it would go well with some soup I made… and because I was reading a “Pioneer… Westward Ho” kind of book, and whenever that happens, I feel like making homemade bread or Jonny Cake, cornmeal mush, or beans and salted pork. At least that was what happened when I read Little House on the Prairie. :) I am looking forward to finding some good new muffins to try out! These turned out great- it was fun to have the whole corn in there. I wouldn’t have thought of doing that. I do like a little bit more sweetness to my cornbread from some reason, so if I made them again, I might add a tablespoon of sugar, but all in all, a great place to start.

Cornmeal Muffins (From 1 Mix, 100 Muffins cookbook)

  • Oil or melted butter for greasing
  • 1 1/4 c flour
  • 1 T baking powder
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • freshly ground black pepper
  • 3/4 c yellow cornmeal
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 c milk
  • 6 T sunflower oil or melted, cooled butter
  • 1 c frozen corn kernels (I just used 1 can, drained.)

Preheat oven to 400. Grease or line a 12 cup muffin pan. Sift together flour, salt, baking powder, and pepper to taste into a large bowl. Stir in cornmeal.

Lightly beat the eggs in a large bowl. Then Beat in milk and oil. Make a well in the center of dry ingredients and pour in the beaten liquid ingredients, and add the corn. Stir gently until just combined; do not over-mix.

Spoon the batter into prepared muffin pan. Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes, until well risen, golden brown, and firm to touch.

Let the muffins cool in the pan for about 5 minutes, then serve warm.

No comments: