Friday, March 25, 2011

Balsamic Pork Cutlets

IMG_2109

Doug went nuts over this recipe, which kind of surprised me.  I know he likes mushrooms, but he’s not big on vinegar-anything.  I think of all the vinegars, balsamic is the most “noble.”  It isn’t over powering, but it definitely kicks it up a notch.  This recipe sounds more technical than it really is.  Just “shalax”… I think recipes that say “and cook for 1 minute” are silly- like you are going to set a timer or something.  I probably didn’t do everything completely perfect, but it tasted great and I think I got the “gist” of what they were going for… and BONUS—I didn’t stress myself out. :)

Balsamic Pork Cutlets (Family Circle, March 2011)

  • 4 boneless pork chops, about 5 oz each, pounded to 1/2 inch thickness
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1 T olive oil
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1 small red sweet pepper, seeds removed and chopped (I didn’t have these, but I bet they would have been good.)
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 can (14.5 oz) broth
  • 1 can (6.5 oz) mushroom pieces, drained
  • 3 T balsamic vinegar
  • 1 tsp dried parsley
  • 1/2 tsp dried basil
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 1/8 tsp salt

Coat pork chops with flour.  Reserve unused flour.  Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.  Add pork and cook 2 minutes per side.  Remove to plate.

Add onion to skillet and cook 1 minute, stirring so onion doesn’t burn.  Add red pepper and garlic and cook one minute.  Stir 1 T of the reserved flour into broth and add to skillet; stir in mushrooms, vinegar, parsley, basil, black pepper, and salt.  Bring to a simmer.

Add pork; cover and simmer on medium-low heat for 10 minutes, turning after 5 minutes. (I cooked the pork chops a little longer the first time around and then served them plain with the topping to put on as desired, because my girls recently developed an aversion to mushrooms.)

No comments: