Sunday, September 2, 2012

Ratatouille with Eggplant and Zucchini

I have been a food blogging slacker!!!  I am seriously about 50 posts behind and I just can't seem to find the time to catch up.  I'm not so vain as so suppose that the world might stop or anything if I don't get a post in every week... but maybe if it would just slow down a bit that wouldn't be so bad. :)  I am coming off of a busy summer and then busy back to school.  Blast those priorities! :)  Anyhow- here was a SURPRISING DELICIOUS veggie-filled dish that I REALLY liked.  I quite like the pixar movie, and I can see why this was the "winning" dish in the show.  It does somehow conjure up "homey happiness."  It was super easy to make (this was certainly not the "gourmet" version featured in the show but probably just as tasty) and it was just loaded with good-for-you foods. I even added some red cabbage I had on hand.  This is a great one for the harvest coming on!  A very family friendly practical meatless meal. It got my stamp of approval, for what it's worth. :)

Ratatouille with Eggplant and Zucchini (about.com)

  • 1 medium eggplant
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 4 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
  • 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
  • 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes with juice
  • Red, yellow, and green bell pepper, cut in 1-inch pieces, about 1 to 1 1/2 cups
  • 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil, about 12 large leaves
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • Dash dried leaf oregano
  • 3 small zucchini, halved lengthwise then sliced
  • Fresh shredded Parmesan cheese, optional

Preparation:

Peel eggplant and cut in 1-inch cubes; put in a colander and sprinkle with the salt. Let stand in the sink for about 20 to 30 minutes to drain.
In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté until onion is tender. Add the tomatoes, bell peppers, basil, pepper, and oregano. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes. Add zucchini and eggplant; cover and continue simmering for 10 to 15 minutes, until vegetables are tender. Taste and add salt, if needed. Serve with fresh shredded Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Serves 4 to 6.

No comments: