Sunday, September 23, 2012

Cherry Rhubarb Crisp... rhubarb gets a second chance!


Until this dish, rhubarb and I DID NOT get along.  My first and only memory was at about age 6.  My best friend Mandy would tear off a large stem from one of the bush-like leafy plants, offer one to me, and gnaw on it like a candy stick... which is, by the way, as polar opposite a taste I can come up with.  I couldn't abide the stuff.  My face puckers at the mere mention.  But, knowing taste buds can change, and knowing I'm kind of an adult, I bravely decided to give rhubarb another chance.  I AM SO GLAD I DID!  ...Now don't get too excited... my rhubarb bundle sat wilting in the crisper to near expiration before I actually summoned the courage to face them, and it's not like we're best friends... but at least now we're civil. :)  In this dish, it was quite delightful.  They reminded me of a sweetened up tart green apple, and the perky pie cherries made a really good companion... although they required a lot of TLC while de-pitting. (One of those cool de-pitter gadgets is now on my kitchen wish-list.)  But, as always, the crisp is unhealthily my favorite part. :)  Loved the hint of ginger.  A winner... and another food nemesis conquered. :) Victory!

Cherry Rhubarb Crisp

3 cups rhubarb, thinly sliced
2 cups cherries, pitted
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon corn starch
3/4 cup quick cooking oatmeal
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon ginger
Pinch salt
1/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into small pieces

Preheat the oven to 375°F. Coat a baking dish with baking spray and set aside.
In a medium bowl, combine the rhubarb, cherries, granulated sugar, and corn starch, tossing to evenly coat.
In a separate bowl, combine the oatmeal, brown sugar, ginger, and salt. Add the butter, and combine with a pastry blender until the mixture is crumbly.
Transfer the rhubarb mixture to the prepared baking dish. Top the rhubarb mixture with the oatmeal mixture.
Bake for 35 minutes, until the top is golden and crisp.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: