Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Natalie's Taco Soup (with the works)


This is another amazing recipe from my friend Natalie. We were all sick a while back and she brought us dinner... and what a dinner it was! She included every possible delicious topping you could add to the soup! It was heavenly. I loved the avocado! This soup had such an incredibly fresh flavor-- I was sipping sunshine in every spoonful! The lime and cilantro make this one stand out from your typical Taco Soup. It is fun that is has a more juicy texture, a thin, watery base, like tomato juice. I love that Natalie adds extra lime and cilantro, too. Here were her suggestions,
"on the taco soup, I bake the chicken instead of saute. Just lightly coat it with olive oil and bake about 7 minutes on each side (although I cut my chicken breasts in half so they are thin...if you leave them as is, they will need longer to bake, but I find that they stay very moist and tender when they're thin.) I also add more lime juice (3-4 limes) and more cilantro (1/3 to a whole bunch."
I imagine if you are in a hurry, you could even just use canned chicken, or grill it up, but I thought it was a good idea for moist tender chicken if you have the time. Beautiful Soup!!!
Taco Soup
(From a Relief Society cookbook contributed by Chris Hair/Jean McMullin)
3-4 chicken breasts (halves)
4 t. olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
2 cans (14 ½ oz.) chicken broth
2 cans (14 ½ oz.) Mexican-style stewed tomatoes
1 ½ c. frozen sweet petite corn (Costco’s is good)
½ t. cumin
Juice of 1 - 2 limes (or to taste)
¼ c. chopped cilantro
Salt and pepper to taste

Sauté chicken in half of the olive oil. Remove from pan and pull apart into bite-size pieces. Add remaining oil and sauté onions and garlic.
Add broth and stewed tomatoes. (Chop tomato pieces if desired.) Bring to boil. Add corn, cumin, lime juice, cilantro and chicken. Heat, adjust seasonings, and serve with desired toppings:
Grated cheese
Chopped olives
Chopped green onions
Chopped avocados
Sour cream
Tortilla strips or chips
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

jess and seth said...

Yummy! We had this brought to us too, and the gal who made it blended a Serrano pepper with the tomato broth. It was delicious, but probably a bit spicy for the kids. Similar recipe, though, and we LOVED IT!

Tony Payne said...

The only really good tortilla soup I have had has been in Mexico City, and there you have a bowl of soup and a plate with loads of things to throw into it.

This is the closest I have seen to that, and it looks wonderful.

Adding a link to your blog from mine so I don't lose you.