Saturday, May 15, 2010

Easy Dinner Rolls


CONFESSION: Until this recipe came along, I had never before made a successful batch of rolls. Everyone always says, "Rolls... Oh they are SO EASY!" And it just feels like "IN YOUR FACE!" My first batch made fantastic hockey pucks. I have made every possible mistake you could make! SOOO... of course I was completely delighted when I made my decidedly last attempt and they turned out. They live up to the name! I think another trick with rolls is, don't try to make them whole wheat unless the recipe says so. I add it so often all in the name of "good health" and it somehow ruins it... every time. So I stuck with the white this time and they were perfect. I also used this recipe for a pizza crust and it was pretty good. Thank you to my friend Afton for a good roll recipe that even I can't ruin!

Easy Dinner Rolls
6 cups flour
2 T sugar
2 tsp salt
2 pkg dry yeast (about 1 1/2 tablespoons)
1/2 c oil
2 1/2 cups hot water

In the large work bowl of a heavy duty mixer add 4 cups of flour, salt, sugar and yeast. Using a standard beater mix ingredients together. With the mixer running slowly add the oil and mix until combined. Slowly add the hot water and beat until a soft smooth dough forms. Add the remaining 2 cups of flour and beat crust until combined. Scrape and remove standard beaters and replace with the dough hook. Knead the dough for about 5 minutes. Remove the dough hook and form the rolls or let the dough rise until double and gentle punch down. Make out rolls and place on baking pan covered with a baking sheet. Let rise until doubled and bake in a 400 degree oven until brown about 15 minute.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: