Thursday, August 26, 2010

Basic Coleslaw

Here's a basic coleslaw with a tangy mayonnaise dressing, and it's a great choice for summer meals. Serve this coleslaw with barbecue or sandwiches. I found that this recipe got better with time. I liked it a lot better after it sat in the fridge for a day or two- the juices run together in a good way and the cabbage softens ever so slightly to make it PERFECT. This was really good, but it didn't top my mom's coleslaw, which I have never quite been able to make like her, so I am forever making failed attempts. :)

Basic Coleslaw (About.com)
6 cups shredded cabbage
1 carrot, shredded
2/3 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons vinegar (I just did 1 T and I would hesitate to add more then that.)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 1/2 tablespoons sugar, or to taste
1/2 teaspoon celery salt
1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
Preparation:
Toss cabbage in a large bowl with the carrots. In a bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients. Pour the mixture over the cabbage and carrots and toss to coat thoroughly. Refrigerate until serving time.Serves 6.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: