Monday, December 1, 2008

Creamy Turkey Vegetable Soup

Still have any Turkey left overs? This was an amazing recipe I found in Simple and Delicious, and both Doug and I thought it was great! He said, "It tastes like the inside of a turkey pot pie, only better." I would have to agree. It makes me want to bake another turkey, just for the leftovers with good recipes like this one!

Creamy Turkey Vegetable Soup
1 cup diced fresh carrots
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/3 cup chopped onion
2 T butter
2 cups diced cooked turkey
2 cups water
1-1/2 cups peeled, diced potatoes
2 tsp chicken bouillon granules
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2-1/2 cups milk, divided (Confession: I used half and half to make it creamier)
3 T all-purpose flour
*I also added about 1 cup of stuffing I had left over- it added some fun flavor, and I thought it was a good addition if you have it sitting around. :)

In a large saucepan, saute the carrots, celery, and onion in butter until tender. Stir in turkey, water, potatoes, bouillon, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until vegetables are tender.

Stir in 2 cups milk. Combine flour and remaining milk until smooth. Stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cool and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.

No comments: