Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Ginger Bread Cookies




I had the opportunity to go to Nauvoo, Illinois this last year for my brother's wedding. This is the actual Scovil Bakery Ginger Bread Cookie recipe. When they gave it to me, I decided right then and there that I was going to make ginger bread ornaments for the tree this year. :) They turned out really well, and the girls and I had a lot of fun making them. (Don't forget they have to be refrigerated for 24 hours- I got the girls all worked up, but then read that part. They were a little disappointed. :) To make ornaments, I just poked a hole in them while they were soft- I used a chop stick, but you could probably find something more effective. They were tasty to eat too- not just as ornaments. I figured, if I make enough, I won't mind it the girls play with or even "eat" the ornaments this year. :)

Ginger Bread Cookies (Scovil Bakery-- Nauvoo, Illinois)
1 cup sugar
1 cup Sorghum or Molasses
3/4 cup oil or lard
1/2 cup hot water

Combine
(It says to rinse the malasses from the cup with hot water, but I just put oil in first and it didn't stick.)

Add: 2 eggs

Mix together the following:
1 tsp soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp ginger
6 or 7 cups of white flour

Refrigerate dough overnight. Roll out and cut with cookie cutters.
Bake at 350 for 10 minutes.

To roll out the dough, we use Pam in place of flour.

Cookies freeze well and are softer and more flavorful after freezing.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Peabody said...

What cool ornaments those make.