Sunday, August 24, 2008

Clam Chowder



Clam Chowder is my all-time favorite soup. If I see it on the restaurant menu- I just have to try it out. I'm becoming quite the connoisseur, if I say so myself. :) I have tasted several different bowls full, and I think I would have to say my favorite was the bowl on the San Francisco wharf. Wow-- the smells, the sites, and the taste combine! I think that is why I just have to keep trying it out to take me back! My mother-in-law also makes a nice bowl for Christmas Eve... my only complaint is that it isn't often enough. The Applebee's version came pretty close too, but ok... let's be honest... I want a heaping bowl, not a cup! Anyone feel the same about the soups at restaurants? Maybe I'm just a piglet, but that little cup size portion just never does it for me. Anyhow, when the restaurant can't fill my craving for chowder, I whip up this little concoction to satisfy the hunger. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Lyd's Clam Chowder (Adapted mainly from my sister, Jessica's recipe)
*This makes a big batch.
In a large pot of boiling water place:
5 large peeled and sliced potatoes
1 onion, diced
4 celery stalks, thinly sliced

In another large pot:
Make a white sauce. (I pretty much double the white sauce recipe)

White Sauce:
5 T melted butter
6 T flour
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
3 cup milk (If I have it, I also like to substitute some half and half or cream for milk in there to make it rich and creamy.)

*Mix butter, flour, salt, and pepper well. Slowly stir in milk. Bring to a boil. Boil for one minute, stirring constantly. If it doesn't thicken enough, slowly sprinkle a little more flour but be careful it may lump.

Once you have a nice thick white sauce, drain the vegetables that have been boiling in water, and add them to the white sauce along with 2 cans of undrained minced clams (if you want more "fishy" taste, use clam juice), and 2 grated carrots. Let it simmer on medium low for about 5-10 minutes. Serve with crackers and enjoy!

1 comment:

jess and seth said...

Okay, so I used to be better at making this, but I tried it last week with ham instead of clams. Which would have been good if I hadn't used the helping hands half&half. It smelled fine, but after I cooked it, it started to curdle and smell like Barney Dairy. Not to mention the fact that it boiled all over the stove. So after I cleaned that off, I rinsed the veggies and ham, thus removing all the yummy salty flavor, but losing none of the diary taste, and tried again. It was horrible. I couldn't even eat it. Seth, bless his heart, ate two bowls and was very sweet and Brian even choked one down. But I couldn't pull one over on the kids. None of them ate it, and I joined them in a big bowl of cereal afterwards. We turned on the Scentsy candle and aired out the house. It was a "capastapy," as Lola would say.