Saturday, March 2, 2013

Butternut Squash Gnocchi

Yes, I'm still at it... sneaking squash into thing. :)  I was amazed how easy this was to make, and although the kids were a little disappointed that they weren't the "chicken nuggets" that they thought they were, they still ate them up. (It's ok... you can admit that you had the same thought. :)  The garlic sage butter was a little strong.  I think they would taste the best with a creamy sauce or in a soup.  We actually put ours into our creamy tomato soup and it was quite delicious.  Just another fun way to sneak in those veggies. :)

Butternut Squash Gnocchi with Garlic Butter and Sage Sauce

For the gnocchi:
3lb butternut squash (I think just about any kind of squash would do.  I used acorn.  I would definitely recommend following my tip below and slow cooking it.  Super easy!)
1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
salt & pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg, whisked
2-1/4 cups flour, plus more for rolling

For the Garlic Butter & Sage Sauce (for two, 1-cup servings):
2 Tablespoons butter
1 garlic clove, minced
7-8 leaves fresh sage, chopped
salt & pepper

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Pierce bulb end of butternut squash with a sharp knife several times then microwave for 3 minutes, flipping halfway through. Slice top and bottom off squash, then cut in half lengthwise and remove seeds with a spoon. Place squash halves cut side up on a foil-lined baking sheet then brush with extra virgin olive oil and season liberally with salt and pepper. Roast for 50-60 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the thickest part of the squash meets no resistance.

When squash is cool enough to handle, scoop from peel and place in a food processor. Process until very smooth (or mash by hand) then place puree in a large saucepan over medium heat and cook until it is no longer extremely moist, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Spread squash puree on a plate then refrigerate until cool (doesn’t have to be cold – but will be more difficult to roll out.)

Measure out 2 cups cold squash then place in a large bowl and stir in whisked egg and salt. Add flour, 1 cup at a time, and stir until the dough pulls away from the side of the bowl. Turn out onto a heavily floured surface and knead until dough comes together. (Dough might be sticky, just keep flouring hands lightly.

Remove large hunks of the dough then roll into a rope and cut into 1″ sections to form the gnocchi. Place onto a wax paper or foil-lined baking sheet and freeze until solid then transfer to a freezer bag, or cook gnocchi immediately. Cook frozen gnocchi the same as fresh (do not thaw.)

To cook gnocchi: Bring a large pot of water to a boil then salt lightly. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat, then add garlic and sage. Cook until garlic is just starting to turn golden brown.

Add 1 cup gnocchi at a time and to the salted, boiling water, then cook at a gentle boil until gnocchi float to the top, about 2 minutes. Transfer using a slotted spoon or spider to the garlic butter & sage sauce. Cook remaining gnocchi then add to the skillet. Season with salt & pepper then toss to coat, and plate.


*She has some great step by step instructions and pictures.

Lyd's Tip:  My sister was telling me a while back how she chopped up her Halloween pumpkins and put them in her crockpot and they ate them up.  I thought it was brilliant.  I was too lazy to even cut mine up.  I was in a hurry so I just threw the whole thing in, put it on low, and left.  It was done in just a couple hours.  So easy!  No hassle with baking it in the oven forever and burning it.  Love these time savers!
Here they are, ready for a dunk in our creamy tomato soup. Yum!
 
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Amy Jo Romney said...

I need to try these! Benj is always buying squash. I am always trying to find ways to use it up. The other day I was desperate to use up the left over spaghetti squash in the fridge, so I threw it in the muffin batter I was making. It turned out awesome! But I still have a butter nut squash to use, so I'm glad I saw this post!