Sunday, October 14, 2012

Sausage-Stuffed Acorn Squash


Oh- I love Autumn and the yummy comfort food that comes with it!  I've made this a couple times (Stuffed Squash & Stuffed Squash for Two), but I always felt like it took too long, so I added my own practical tip (found below) to really speed things up.  Plus it is always fun to try out different versions.

*I was also thinking this could make a good meatless meal-just saute some extra veggies and leave out the sausage... and then come up with a new name. :)

Lyd's Tip:  Turn this 70 minute meal in to a 30 minute meal!  If you're short on time for cooking your squash, you can really speed up the process by slicing it in half, and putting the squash cut side down on a glass baking dish in just a little bit of water in the microwave for about 10 minutes.  You could even do what I did...  I'm kind of a cheater, but I microwaved my squash and prepared the stuffing, put it inside and served it.  I skipped the baking process altogether.  And nobody knew but me... until now. :)

SAUSAGE - STUFFED ACORN SQUASH
2 (1 1/2 lb.) acorn squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
3/4 lb. pork sausage
1/2 c. sliced celery
1/2 c. chopped onion
1 egg, beaten
1/3 c. grated Parmesan cheese
3 tbsp. brown sugar
1 sm. apple, chopped
Place squash, cut side down, in a large baking pan. Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 45 minutes or until just tender. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook sausage, celery, and onion until meat is browned and vegetables are tender. Drain well. Combine egg, cheese, brown sugar, and apple; stir into sausage mixture. Turn squash halves, cut side up. Mound sausage mixture into squash shells. Cover and bake for 20 to 25 minutes more or until sausage mixture is heated through. Makes 4 servings.
(Recipe from cooks.com)
Posted by Picasa

No comments: