Monday, September 12, 2011

One-Pan Taco Beef and Noodle Skillet


CONFESSION: I have always had a hard time making mac and cheese. No, I'm not saying health-wise, I'm saying process-wise. Embarassing, I know. I used to beg my room-mates to make it for me... they made fun of me... and well they should, I suppose. The bottom line is, I wasn't ever patient enough for the special step-by-step instructions, and I felt very strongly that it should be an easy, fast meal that should definitely only dirty one pot... which meant I strained it with a spoon. I lost alot of noodles that way. I also had some stubborn water that hung out in the bottom of the pot still. And why dirty the measuring cup- I can eye-ball 1/4 of a cup of milk pretty well. And what was the order? Butter, milk, noodles, packet? I don't know, and my noodles are already in there. Hmmmm... so I kind of threw it all together. Do you see where I'm going with this? You wouldn't think you could bots this, but I don't think I've ever made a proper batch. So here I am, to this day, doctoring it up... and dong a darn good job of it, I might add. This meal would have made my room-mates proud (as long as they just saw the end result :) I like how this one breaks away from the traditional instructions. That helped me for some reason. So for the mac fans who can or cannot make it... here is a happy compromise.

One-Pan Taco Beef and Noodle Skillet

1 lb. lean ground beef
1 pkg. (1-1/4 oz.) Taco Seasoning Mix
2 cups water
1 pkg. (7-1/4 oz.) Macaroni & Cheese Dinner
1/3 cup Sour Cream
1 large tomato, chopped
1 cup shredded lettuce
1 cup tortilla chips, broken up

Make It

BROWN meat in large nonstick skillet on medium-high heat; drain. Add seasoning mix, water and Macaroni; mix lightly. Bring to boil; cover. Simmer on medium-low heat 7 min. or until noodles are tender and liquid is almost completely absorbed.

STIR in sour cream and Cheese Sauce Mix until well blended.

TOP with tomatoes, lettuce and tortilla chips.

Kraft Kitchens Tips

Healthy Living
Trim 40 calories and 7 grams of fat per serving by preparing with extra-lean ground beef, BREAKSTONE'S Reduced Fat or KNUDSEN Light Sour Cream and baked tortilla chips.
Special Extra
For spicier flavor, stir in desired amount of hot sauce or ground red pepper along with the sour cream and Cheese Sauce Mix.

1 comment:

Mary Bergfeld said...

I love this kind of dish. It is quite similar to chili mac which was a favorite of my children. I always enjoy my visits to your blog. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary