Monday, November 22, 2010

Sugarless Apple Pie



Happy day! An amazing SUGARLESS pie- just in time for the Thanksgiving feast! (Amazingly, it can be done! :) My friend brought this over for dessert and it won both my husband and I over. It is excellent. She added dried cranberries to the mix, and that was definitely my favorite part! It added texture, color, and a fun sweet/tart flavor that I loved! Oh- and did I mention the whole wheat crust? How cool it that?! My husband really liked it. Anyway- I was so happy she shared her fun recipe. (Don't you love her fun pie dish?) Hope you enjoy! Happy Thanksgiving!!! (And BIG THANKS Crystal!)

Sugarless Apple Pie (From Crystal Willock)
Preheat: 425

Crust:
2 cup white flour
2 cup wholewheat flour
1 cup oil
1 cup ice water

Sift flour and salt together.
Beat oil and ice water together until emulsified.
Pour over flour all at once
Toss to mix lightly, form into a ball
Divide in half and roll out each half between wax paper
Fill pie pan

Pie Filling:
6 oz Frozen Unsweetened Apple Juice
1Tbs. Cinnamon
2 Tbs. Cornstarch
1 Tbs. Butter
1 Tbs. Vanilla Extract
6 medium granny smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced.
½-1 cup dried cranberries (or other dried fruit)

Combine apple juice and cornstarch in large sauce pan, stirring well.
Cook over medium heat until thick and bubbly. STIR OFTEN!
Stir in butter, cinnamon, and vanilla.
Add apples, tossing well to coat.
Add Cranberries, stir all together and cook about 3 minuets.
Fill pastry-lined pie pan.
Cover with top crust
Cut pretty pattern for steam to escape

Cook about 30-45 minutes.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Melinda said...

Oh, Lydia! This one is after my own heart!!! I can't WAIT to try it! Sugarless AND has whole wheat in the crust? Sounds like a winner! ;-D

And I miss you - just wanted to tell you that today!

jess and seth said...

I like your friend--a ww pie crust is the way to go. If I had my way, all flour would be whole wheat. :)