Sunday, November 18, 2012

Squash Pasta

Had to post this one lest you doubted me when I say that squash keeps sneaking into my foods. :)  I will also add that this is an AWESOME way to sneak it in!  No one knew... and I sat silently chuckling to myself all through dinner. :)  It had a little different taste than your regular homemade egg noodle, but still great.  I served it as a side dish, but I would definitely throw it into chicken noodle soup next time.  It was so easy and inexpensive to make-- why wouldn't I sneak an extra veggie serving in! :)  "Forgive me... a cruel chuckle."  Glad I found this one- I'm definitely going to experiment.

Lyd's Tip: Please do me a favor and save yourself an hour of baking and electricity and just microwave your squash.  Cut it in half, turn it cut side down on a glass dish, pour just a little water and microwave for about 7-10 minutes.  Then you can get right to work making dinner. :)

Gold Nugget Squash Pasta (Melissas.com)
1 whole gold nugget squash.  (I used gold nugget, but I bet acorn would work too.)
1 3/4 cup All-Purpose Flour (I'm going to try whole wheat next time- just to be brave. :)
1 teaspoon Hazelnut Butter
(I added about a tsp of salt- it needed it.)
1 pinch Black Pepper
1 pinch Ground Nutmeg
1 pinch Garlic Powder

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cut squash into quarters, remove seeds and place in a baking dish with ½ cup of water. Cover and bake until tender (50 to 60 minutes). Let cool and mash flesh. Set aside. In a large bowl, combine ¾ cup of squash with remaining ingredients to form a soft dough. Turn out onto a floured board & knead until smooth and pliable like a firm bread dough. Place in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap & let rest for at least 30 minutes. Shape and cook dough as desired.

(I rolled them out and cut strips.  This might work best if you let the noddles dry, but you know me, and I wasn't going to wait, so I just boiled them right away.  It took about 5-10 minutes to cook.  It worked out great.  I think I would just try to make them thinner next time.)

 
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

jess and seth said...

Ok, so did you know you can crock-pot your pumpkin or squash? I had 3 whole jack-o-lantern pumpkins and I cut all the peels off, stuck them in the crockpot on high for about 4-5 hours, and then blended up the result (which I will now use to make Thanksgiving pie and these noodles! :). It was really handy, although the peels are tough to cut off.