Friday, November 30, 2012

Curried Butternut Squash and Rice Casserole


Are you tired of squash yet?  "NEVER!" you bellow, "Keep it coming!"  Well, you won't be after you try this family-friendly dish!  Yay for a meatless meal winner!  This has been by far the best meatless meal/squashful dish I've made yet.  It was delicious!!!  The whole family liked it- and that is saying something.  It was flavorful, had a fun variety of textures- I loved the nuts and cheese on top that add contrast AND protein.  This is a very healthy one, but it taste more like comfort food.  We didn't miss the meat one bit.  Also fairly inexpensive to make.  Could also pass as a side dish.  I was so happy to have stumbled across this one... I know you'll thank me! :)

Curried Butternut Squash and Rice Casserole (Country Living)
2 tablespoon(s) Vegetable Oil
1 cup(s) (about 1 medium) Chopped Onion (I don't usually have "shallots" lying around, so I used a big onion.)
1 Shallot, chopped
1 tablespoon(s) Curry Powder
1 teaspoon(s) Salt
1/2 teaspoon(s) Ground Coriander
1/4 teaspoon(s) Ground Black Pepper
2 cup(s) Reduced-Sodium Chicken Or Vegetable Broth
1 can(s) (14-ounce) Reduced-Fat Coconut Milk 
2 1/2 cup(s) (about 1 1/2 pounds) Butternut Squash, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 1/2 cup(s) Basmati Rice
1/4 cup(s) Sliced Almonds 
Parmesan Cheese
1/4 cup(s) Golden Raisins (I left these out.)

Heat oven to 375 degrees F. In a 4-quart shallow Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, shallot, curry powder, salt, coriander, and pepper. Sauté until onion has softened — 5 to 7 minutes.
Stir in the broth and the coconut milk. Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat. Cook 1 minute. Remove the pan from heat and stir in the squash, rice, almonds, and raisins. Cover tightly and place in oven. Bake 20 minutes. Carefully remove the cover and bake 10 minutes longer. Serve immediately.

Lyd's Directions: I sauted the onion and squash with the seasonings in a little olive oil.  I also used cook rice from left-overs.  Then I stirred it all together (except cheese and nuts) and heated through, and poured it into a baking dish, added cheese and almonds and covered with foil, following the same cooking time.

Nutritional Information

(per serving)

Calories
310
Total Fat
7.0g
Saturated Fat
--
Cholesterol
4.0mg
Sodium
567mg
Total Carbohydrate
--
Dietary Fiber
5.00g
Sugars
--
Protein
6.0g
Calcium
--
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Momma Kaye said...

Wow! You are fancy here! I love the almond combination in this recipe. I'm going to try it!