Friday, April 20, 2012

Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce

Chicken is one of my favorite meats to eat but my least favorite to prepare... so it doesn't show up as often as it probably should at my table.  If it does, it is usually in a crockpot dish because I didn't have to remember to let it thaw in fridge overnight or defrost, and because I can quite literally slide it in without handling it.  It's not that I'm afraid... I just prefer as little contact as possible. :) Isn't that weird because I don't usually have these hang-ups with steak or pork.  But let me tell you, when I DO plan ahead a bit, I put a darn good meal on the table!  I was trying to find a simple, satisfying recipe and I came across a great one!  Lots of flavor and the chicken stays really moist and tender, but you still get a nice sear that seals in the flavor.  Really tasty!  Hope my family appreciates it, because it might not happen again... at least not soon enough! :)

Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce 
By EatingWell.com

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 pound), trimmed of fat
1 teaspoon kosher salt , divided
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour , divided
3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil , divided
2 large shallots , finely chopped (I actually used green onions because that is what I had.)
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream (You could even sub plain yogurt if you're want to cut calories.)
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/2 cup chopped chives (about 1 bunch)

Place chicken between sheets of plastic wrap and pound with a meat mallet or heavy skillet until flattened to an even thickness, about 1/2 inch. Season both sides of the chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Place 1/4 cup flour in a shallow glass baking dish and dredge the chicken in it. Discard the excess flour.

Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate, cover and keep warm.

Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon oil in the pan over medium-high heat. Add shallots and cook, stirring constantly and scraping up any browned bits, until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon flour; stir to coat. Add wine, broth and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt; bring to a boil, stirring often.

Return the chicken and any accumulated juices to the pan, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook until heated through and no longer pink in the center, about 6 minutes. Stir in sour cream and mustard until smooth; turn the chicken to coat with the sauce. Stir in chives and serve immediately.
Health Advantages: low calorie, low carb, low sat fat, heart healthy, healthy weight.

Nutrition Information
Servings Per Recipe: 4
Amount Per serving
Calories: 244 cal Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Carbohydrates: 1 g Dietary Fiber: 0 g Cholesterol: 72 mg
Fat: 9 g Sodium: 679 mg Saturated Fat: 3 g
Protein: 26 g Potassium: 334 mg Monounsaturated Fat: 3 g
Nutrition Bonus: Niacin (50% daily value), Selenium (31% dv).
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 4 very lean meat ,1 fat
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Momma Kaye said...

This looks unbelievably delicious! We have so many chives that grow wild in the K garden.

Hey, Lyd. Can you post your blog links on that new google docs site that my brother started (after you sent the addresses)?

jess and seth said...

I am totally making this this week--after I buy some chives, which are probably pretty important in this recipe . . . yum yum city!