Friday, April 13, 2012

Chicken & Bacon Tart


I'm such a Simlple and Delicious fan!  I just organized my magazines and I realized I've been a loyal subscriber for six years now!  Worth every penny to me.  Especially when they pull things out of the hat like this- who would have thought to use pepper jelly with something like this?  But somehow, someway, the taste combined with chicken, bacon, and apples just totally worked.  AND it allowed me to use that obscure little jar I've had sitting around for a year not know what to do with. (My inspiration for trying this one out.)  Do people really spread that on their toast?  Spicy peppers in salsa... YES!  Spicy peppers in jam... NO THANKS.  Or at least that is what I thought before this one... thank goodness someone came up with a good use for it.  This was one Doug suggested I make for company... I love when he says things like that. :)  This is a winner... strange pepper jelly included!

Chicken & Bacon Tart (Simple and Delicious/Taste of Home)
1/4 pound bacon strips, cut into thirds (I cut them a little smaller and I think they were more manageable.)
2 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced
2 medium apples, peeled and thinly sliced
1 package (9 ounces) ready-to-serve roasted chicken breast strips
1/4 cup jalapeno pepper jelly (I actually used mango pepper jelly)
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon. Saute onions and apples in drippings until tender. Stir in the chicken, jelly, thyme and salt.
On a lightly floured surface, unfold puff pastry. Roll into a 10-in. x 9-in. rectangle. Transfer to a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Prick with a fork.
Spread chicken mixture over pastry to within 1 in. of edges. Sprinkle with cheese and pepper. Press edges with a fork, forming a decorative border.
Bake at 425° for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with bacon; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until golden brown. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts
1 piece equals 693 calories, 37 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 76 mg cholesterol, 1,023 mg sodium, 65 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 28 g protein.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Momma Kaye said...

This dish looks fabulous! Yummy!

jess and seth said...

This is making my mouth water . . . And have you met my husband Seth? He uses salsa as a topping for anything I have around the kitchen--bananas, bread, etc.