Sunday, August 28, 2011

Applesauce Cake

IMG_3512

I put up applesauce last year and after serving some up for breakfast, I had just enough left in the jar that was screaming to be turned into a delicious spice cake, so I caved. :)  I can always count on Betty Crocker for a good recipe; however, I did leave out the raisins and nuts, because… well… sometimes you feel like a nut, and sometimes you don’t.  I remember as a kid just begging mom to leave that stuff out.  In my mind, she had just destroyed a perfectly good dessert.  Now-a-days, I’m the one throwing them in… but every once-in-a-while, those childhood taste buds revisit, and I humor them.

Applesauce Cake (Betty Crocker)

        Cook Time: 50 minutes
        Ingredients:
        2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted before measuring
        1 cup sugar
        1 teaspoon salt
        1 teaspoon cinnamon
        1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
        1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
        2 teaspoons baking soda
        1 cup raisins
        1 cup chopped walnuts
        1/2 cup melted butter
        2 cups applesauce

      Into a mixing bowl, sift together the dry ingredients. Add raisins, chopped walnuts, melted butter, and applesauce. Beat until well blended. Pour batter into greased and floured 9-inch square pan or 11 3/4 x 7 1/2 baking pan. Bake at 350° for 45 to 50 minutes. Cool and spread with cream cheese or butter frosting. If desired, decorate applesauce cake with grated orange peel and walnut halves, or top with cream cheese frosting.
      Number of Servings: 20

      2 comments:

      Momma Kaye said...

      I have soooo much applesauce, that I'm going to make this yummy cake today.
      I love your beautiful blog, Lyd. You are amazing!

      Momma Kaye said...

      I love the way you share your feelings about the compost cakes your mom would make! I know I tortured you kids with bread that could have been used for door stops, and cake that was so 100% whole wheat that no one could eat more than a small slice. I'm sorry. But look how healthy you are!