Friday, February 24, 2012

Chinese Turkey Vegetable Casserole Recipe

Have I mentioned that I LOVE my little chest freezer?  Well, I do.  It makes great things happen--like buying a big old turkey around Thanksgiving time for about .25 a pound and freezing it until now.  We enjoyed a delightful Thanksgiving dinner in February.  It was wonderful, and so was all the meat that I got to freeze.  I've made some yummy soups, sandwiches, and this casserole.  I thought it was pretty good.  I did think it made a HUGE batch.  Even as good as it was, we were getting tired of the left-overs, so I would suggest either halving the recipe or freezing half.

Chinese Turkey Vegetable Casserole (about.com)
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes

Ingredients:
1 can (1 pound) French-cut string beans, drained
1 can (1 pound) Chinese mixed vegetables, drained
1 can (8-1/2 ounces) water chestnuts, sliced and drained
1 can (8 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
1 small onion, chopped
1 cup grated Cheddar cheese
4 cups cubed cooked turkey (or chicken)
1 can (10-3/4 ounces) cream of mushroom soup
1 ounce sherry (I actually used soy sauce- I know that not very similar, but it seem to give the "chinese" flavor that it needed)
1 cup milk (It was pretty runny- I think I would half this or add a half cup uncooked rice to give it a firmer texture.)
1 can (3 ounces) french-fried onions

Preparation:
Alternate layers of vegetables, cheese, and chicken in greased 9 x 13-inch casserole. Combine soup, soy sauce, and milk. Pour over casserole. Cover loosely with foil. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 40 minutes. Remove foil; sprinkle onion rings on top. Bake 20 minutes longer. Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Momma Kaye said...

Do you think I could make this yummy dish without the french fried onions (if I just used real sauteed onions instead)-- skip the mushroom soup and sprinkle just a little mozzarella cheese on it? I really want to make it because I have left over turkey in the freezer too. Plus the veggies are so good for us.