Monday, November 15, 2010

Spaghetti Squash in the Microwave

I was so excited to find out how easy it is to cook squash in the microwave! I have baked those things for hours in the oven and still not gotten them cooked through, so I just think it is exciting that you can fully cook them in 12 minutes or less and get possibly better results! Talk about a time saver and a great, healthy side dish! I have tried this with other squash too like acorn and butternut, and it works wonderfully. If they are a little smaller, you won't need to cook them quite as long.

Spaghetti Squash in the Microwave
Microwave squash for 1 minute just to soften a bit, then cut it in half. Use a spoon the scrape out the seeds and a few of the sticky strands. Place it cut side down in a mocrowave safe dish. Pour in about 1/2 cup of water, and microwave for about 12 minutes, or until soft. Using a spoon or fork, pull the "meat" from the sides, and serve warm.

*We actually just used this as a replacement of our noodles in our spaghetti- it was so yummy! We just put sauce over top and sprinkled it with cheese- it was excellent. My husband put a little garlic powder, salt, butter, and Parmesan in his and it was delicious!
My kids were big fans! :)

2 comments:

jess and seth said...

Did I tell you that this is what we do all the time? It's miraculous. It works great for any type of squash--most acorn, butternut or slices of summer squash cook in about 6-7 minutes. So much easier than baking it all day!

Keri said...

Aren't microwaves one of the best inventions? I think they are up there with computers and the internet! :) I just did this with the spaghetti squash the other day. I think next time we have it we'll mix it with some whole wheat angel hair pasta. There didn't seem to be a very good sauce:noodle ratio.