Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup

There is nothing better than a nice big bowl of Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup! I love any soup! I think it is partly because that was something my mom was SO good at growing up- she could whip a good bowl of soup up in minutes and it always satisfied our big crew. Well, I have had to learn to be pretty quick on the draw as well, and I already shared my crockpot chicken trick as well as the homemade noodles, so I thought I better complete the job.

Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
2 chicken breast, cooked and shredded or cubed (If you cook it my way, add the drippings for flavor.)
1 1/2 quart chicken broth (I had some on hand, but I usually use chicken bullion and water and that works great as well.)
1 tsp celery salt
1 tsp season salt
2 T fresh parsely (you can use dried, but I had the fresh and it was really good.)
1 tsp basil
pinch of cayenne pepper (if you were my mom you would probably use about 4-5 teaspoons- maybe even tablespoons. That is my only beef with her soup! :) She loves cayenne!)
Salt and pepper to taste
4 big carrots, peeled and sliced
4-5 celery stalks, sliced (the leafy heart pieces give it a good flavor and make it pretty)
1 onion, peeled and chopped
5 medium sized potatoes, peeled and sliced
Homemade egg noodles (half the batch), or a half a bag of store bought

In a big pot, pour in broth and add all ingredients but the noodles. Bring to a boil and then simmer on medium to medium-low heat for about 15-30 minutes. Add the noodles after about 15 minutes and continue to simmer until all the veggies are cooked. You might need to add a bit more water if you are using the homemade noodles, because they absorb a lot of water.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: